Monday, June 20, 2011

It Must Be That Dirty Water


I did it, I wasn't sure if I would, but I did!
I joined the masses and went into Boston this past weekend to celebrate the Bruin's winning of The Stanley Cup. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go, but felt since my crazy Canadian cousins made the effort to drive ten hours a half an hour train ride was peanuts. At first my biggest fear was the crowds. The city was estimating hundred of thousands of fans. I've seen these sort of events on television before and sometimes the people get CRAZY!


At 7:00 am we headed into the city for the 11:00 am parade. I couldn't believe how many people were waiting for the train. I had never seen the station this packed, not even during the regular work week. By 8 am we were lining the streets near the TD Garden only 10 feet away from where the players would be going by. Even though there were thousands of people on every side of me  oddly enough I never felt constrained or threatened. The crowd was extremely well behaved. 


Slightly after 11 am the magic began. The crowd roared, music blared, and black and gold confetti filled the air. I've never witnessed such a scene. It was unbelievable!


After searching out a couple of places to eat we landed at Patty O's, an Irish pub in Boston, just minutes before it became packed. Lucky us. As we walked back to catch the train we heard some police sirens and much to our surprise the boats were on their way back and we were able to catch another glimpse of the players. 


Finally the gates to the TD Garden opened and the players made their exit. That's when the Boston Bruin's team captain Zdeno Chara came out of the gate riding his bike, literally 5 feet away from us. Next Patrice Bergeron walked out of the gate on foot allowing cheering fans to come close to him. Crazy, right?!


What a day! After 39 years the The Stanley Cup is back in Boston. Like I said whether you are a fan or not you can't help but be a fan.


It must be that Dirty Water.....Boston You're My Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment