Friday, April 1, 2011

I'm No Fool!



"The first of April is the day we remember 
what we are the other 364 days of the year."
Mark Twain


I thought I was the originator of April Fools day. Ever since I can remember I've been fooling people. I thoroughly enjoy making people laugh so fooling is part of my daily plan. 
So, if I didn't make up this silly tradition who did? Well, apparently it all started back in BC times. Julius Caesar recognized New Years as January 1, but over the years, different countries grew to observe it on different days. Some celebrated it on February 1, some on March 1, and still others on Easter. The church celebrated New Year's on March 25. People would celebrate for 8 days, until the first day of April. To avoid confusion, Gregory XIII made a decision that was handed down through the ages: New Year's Day would be observed on January 1. Some people were opposed to this change, and some didn't even learn that there was a change until years later, and so they continued to celebrate New Year's from March 25 to April 1. Those that celebrated the "new" January 1 New Year made fun of the people who continued to hold celebrations for those eight days. They called them "April Fools," sent them false invitations to New Year's parties, and played tricks on them. Talk about all dressed up and no place to go! Pretty funny right?!
What are some jokes that you like to play on people? Last year I posted a note on our copier machine that stated how it had been upgraded to a voice activated copier. I could hardly stand it as people approached and talked to it, but got nothing but frustrated. 


Another joke I played was on my mother. She loves scratch tickets so I bought her a fake prank ticket. Have you ever seen them? They are all winners, and they all pay out at least a cool million. Mom scratched hers and her eyes got wider and wider and wider until she jumped up and scream woooooooooo wooooooooo. I got out of my chair screamed along with her. She then called my husband to tell him. I finally had to extinguish her flame and let her know that it was a prank. If she wasn't well on her way to a heart attack I may have let it go for a little longer but I figured we got our joy out of seeing such a spectical.
Click here to get your very own prank scratch tickets


Thank you for coming along with me on my journeys this week. 
A lot of fun things prepared for next week so be sure to follow along!
Enjoy your weekend and any "Stops that you find yourself making Along The Way".

3 comments:

  1. OMG the copier prank is so funny and I can picture you mom jumping with excitment. What a great end to another fantastic week on I stopped along the way. Keep up the great blog. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody I follow on Twitter tweeted following on 4/2/11. You might enjoy the read: "2011 Top April Fool’s Pranks Roundup… | Bit Rebels http://www.bitrebels.com/geek/2011-top-april-fools-pranks-roundup-infographic/ via @bitrebels"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heehee, the copier machine prank was funny! It must’ve been hilarious watching everybody trying to command the machine via voice command. Hehehe! Still, with copier machines computerized nowadays, who knows? We have voice command-capable phones; maybe voice-activated copier machines aren’t actually that far behind!

    -- Laurinda Hixson

    ReplyDelete