Thursday, May 19, 2011

Simply Living Deliberately

Walden Pond


After yesterday's post about living a simple life it got me thinking of people that have deliberately simplified their life. I immediately thought of two people. The first Henry David Thoreau. Thoreau said, "Our lives are frittered away in details...simplify, simplify. He wrote "As you simplify your life the laws of the universe will be simpler, solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness." 

Thoreau decided to move from Concord, MA to Walden Pond by himself where he would not be bothered by "civilization". His cabin in the woods was very simple and there were no extra material goods. He lived off as little money as he could, whenever he needed money he would work an odd job. He bathed in Walden Pond and spent most of his time writing in his journal and watching nature. He was not burdened with debt or so many material possessions that needed care. He dressed simply and ate food that could be prepared rather easily. He truly lived a simple life.
Henry David Thoreau's Cabin

So if Thoreau was the first person I thought about; who was the second? The second is someone that I met on one of my stops last summer while I was picking up items for my tree house project.....but you'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'll share who I met along my way. I guarantee it'll be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment