Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What A Gem




Do you like museums? I do! 
Are you the kind of museum goer that stands next to each piece of artwork and reads all about it? I'm not. 
In fact I'm totally the opposite. I love to visit museums, and look at all the magnificent colors, textures, shapes, and sizes, but the information connected to each piece hardly ever makes it into my little brain. I guess that's just the way I'm wired, I'm visual. 


This past weekend when I was visiting with my family in Maryland (hi guys!), we took a trip into the city to visit the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History 

in Washington DC. There are several halls in the museum, each focusing on a specific topic. There is the hall of human origins, one for dinosaurs, another for ocean life, and the list goes on an on. My favorite by far is the Hall of Geology, Gems, and Minerals. Spectacular!






I'm not even sure that I have a word to describe the beauty of the gems that they have in this exhibit. This collection is known to be one of the most significant collections of its kind in the world. There are more than 15,000 gems in every possible color imaginable. The most brilliant gem of this collection is of course the Hope Diamond. People were lined up to catch a glimpse of its sparkle and waiting anxiously as it rotated on its turntable to snap a picture of it. Not even a stinky fart that someone left behind cleared the room. Pewwww! 

I must admit that I was awestruck by it too, no not the fart the diamond but some of my most favorite gems were vibrant hues of blue, red, green, orange, and yellow.  


If you ever find yourself in Washington DC you must make a stop at this museum.You will not be disappointed. Promise!



No comments:

Post a Comment