Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Off With Her Head"

Although we are nearing Halloween, I can assure you that this blog post does not include gory guts or rolling heads. Today I'm writing about a peculiar tale that dates back to 1865, Alice In Wonderland.
Alice In Wonderland

Tea Party

It all starts when Alice falls down a rabbit hole meets a slew of characters, The White Rabbit, The Mad Hatter, The Caterpillar, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, The Cheshire Cat, The Queen, Knave, and King of Hearts just to name a few. From tea parties to lawn croquet with a flamingo and finally a the Queen's famous quote "off with her head", the story has many layers of creativity and whimsy.

The Rabbit

The Mad Hatter

It's no wonder that a local artist chose Alice In Wonderland as his theme.....and you don't have to climb down a rabbit hole to see this display because it is the centerpiece of his front lawn. 

I first saw his display about six years ago when I first moved into the area. The theme that year was the Tour de France. He had about a dozen bikes set up on his lawn as if to mimic the actual race. I was awestruck by his attention to detail and how he was able to take straw stuffed people and position them to tell a story that is immediately recognized. I have seen him replicate Gilligan's Island, The Lion King, and The Super Bowl. All of them fantastic!



Twiddle Dee & Twiddle Dum

Cheshire Cat



The Playing Cards
This has now become one of my MUST stops this time of year. If you live locally take a ride up Bridge Street in Hamilton to experience this scene. I'm sure you will be amazed at the time and detail that this artist puts into his work. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next year, but until then I will stop and imagine myself falling down a rabbit hole and enjoying a cup of tea with my new friends.

The Caterpillar 



No comments:

Post a Comment