Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On My Honor

My nieces have been part of their Girl Scout Troop for 13 years. Together with their troop they performed many community services and leadership projects. They have gone to multiple camps and exotic travel destinations. They attended and hosted multiple fundraising events and let's not forget selling thousands of boxes of cookies. Their Girl Scout experience has definitely been an Experience Of A Lifetime; one that they will treasure for years to come, one that  helped teach them essential life skills, an experience that has shaped them as women, built up their courage, confidence, and character. Girl Scouts was a blessing that helped keep them grounded during the difficult times of growing up. 


This past weekend I had the honor of attending my niece's Girl Scout Gold Ceremony, the highest award in Girl Scouting. This is a prestigious award that recognizes girls who make a difference in their communities and in their own lives.



To achieve this gold status you must first complete your bronze and silver awards . Once you've accomplished that you can go for the gold. Here's what you must do:


1. Choose an issue that you think needs help in your community 
2. Research & investigate it
3. Invite a mentor and others to support & take action with you
4. Create a plan
5. Present your plan to the Girl Scout council
6. Take the lead and carry out your plan
7. Educate,Inspire & Share your experience with others


I had known that she was working diligently on her community project for quite some time. She created an arts and craft program for schools that were unable to afford one. Her dedication coupled with the commitment from her leaders, families, and  mentors helped her achieve her goal. In her group alone there were ten girls being awarded their Gold. Apparently this is extremely rare, in fact many Girl Scout troops dissipate well before the gold award is even thought of. 


I was so proud of my niece,and of all the other nine women that took the initiative to educate and bring awareness to their communities about real life issues that can effect each of us.
I was happy that my own little lovely was part of this organization, and  that she has three wonderful leaders that are passionate about what it stands for.
I was so thankful for Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low who believed that all girls should be given the opportunity to develop physically, mentally, and spiritually. 


Girl Scouts Organization
Girl Scout Promise:
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.



Girl Scout Law:
I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and torespect myself and others,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment