Thursday, November 3, 2011

I'm Out Of Breath


The other day my little lovely was discussing music with my husband. As I sat in my office I could hear them discussing different kinds of instruments. My husband somehow was reminded about a Jaw Harp that he had growing up. I had never heard of such a thing so it really peaked my interest. I of course went to You Tube to see if I could find anyone playing a Jaw Harp.
Apparently the Jaw Harp is thought to be one of the oldest musical instruments in the world. It has been pictured in Chinese drawings dating back to 4th century BC. Although it is also called a Jew Harp it has no ties between the Jews people nor Judaism; it is actually native to Asia.
The Jaw Harp is made of two simple metal pieces. A flexible metal , the  reed, and a frame. I think it kind or resembles an antique hair pin. To play it you firmly you hold the frame  to your mouth  and pluck the reed with one finger to produce a note. Your teeth must be parted sufficiently for the reed to vibrate freely, and your mouth should not come into contact with the reed to prevent the vibrations. 

Here are two people playing the Jaw Harp. Each creating a totally different sound and style of music. Super cool I think, but I'm out of breath just watching them!



No comments:

Post a Comment