Thursday, September 8, 2011

Curbside = Mine

A few months ago I saw this....shall I say diamond in the rough on the side of the road. I almost passed it by, but its curved back beckoned me. Accelerating on the gas I made a quick flip around the block. Every time a make a road flip my heart starts to beat fast.
What if someone else sees it and picks it up?
What if the owner saw how excited I was and comes outside to take it back?
What if unbeknownst to me there is a parade and the chair is there for a spectator and not for me?

So I rushed back and there it was. Waiting! I quickly picked it up and tossed it into my trunk.

This past weekend  I decided to tackle this project. Underneath the gorgeous wood was one small problem; layers of white paint. The problem is that the white seeped into every crevice making it impossible to get it all off. I had to get creative and take out my oil paints. I smudged some brown into the wood and viola' it hid most of the white. With a couple of coats of stain, and a few more of gloss I was pleased with the end result.

The seat was upholstered in a floral pattern. Not exactly what I had in mind. Since I am somewhat impatient, I wanted this project to be done so I had no time to shop for fabric. I  remembered that I had a couple old coffee burlap bags in the garage. I thought that the burlap would be a nice contrast to the dark stain. When  I turned them inside out the print was so appropriate for my Portuguese household. SOLD! Minutes later I cut the bag in half, and stapled it to the seat.

Now the chair is in my kitchen. I'm inspired to find a few more chairs on my stops. Wouldn't a grouping of different designs and shapes look beautiful around a table? Oh yeah! I'm on the hunt, so watch what you put curbside, because it might find its way into my trunk.

1 comment:

  1. Read this article to find out where and how you can improve your chances for finding a discount countertops.

    ReplyDelete